I’ve realized that every birthday that goes by, I get less excited about the number of candles on my cake and more obsessed with how much I’ve accomplished throughout the year. It’s funny how my birthday wishes have evolved … at eight, I hoped for an Easy Bake Oven; when I was twelve, I desperately wanted a puppy; in my teens, my wishes revolved around cars, music, and to unrequited loves (sound familiar?); my twenties was all about professional & personal fulfillment; and now in my late thirties it’s all about staying creatively busy; it’s this sense that if I’m not ticking off my to-do list of projects, I’m just a lazy bum (I’m quite the extremist).
With that said, I decided that I would play opposite day this time around, so I did a lot of nothing! Here are some of my favorite moments:
* Saturday night – friends, dinner and drinks at George’s. We had an amazing time!
* My 5th graders singing “Happy Birthday” to me
* The front door of my classroom decorated with colorful streamers (courtesy of my co-workers!)
* Reading the sweetest birthday message from bf
* Relaxing on the couch w/my bf while watching “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”
* Eating a decadent slice of vanilla cake with fudge frosting!
Here’s to having my cake and doing nothing too! Talk soon, Sue